Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Chemo, Cravings & Kindness



CHEMO

I had my second chemo treatment on Thursday and it went well.  My white blood cell count and hemoglobin levels were low so I'm getting daily Neupogen shots Friday - Monday to get them where they need to be. Last weeks' treatment wore me out.  I'm used to being the boss of my body.  If I ask it to do something it has always complied happily, but last weekend all I could do was just lay on the couch like a lumpy tater:) This week my goal is to get in 11,000 steps everyday.


CRAVINGS

Dr. D gave me the most exciting assignment of my life: EAT EVERYTHING. I'd lost 15 pounds quickly and I needed to gain it back so that my body could handle chemo. I am a very good patient, so I listened to my doctor. I ate McDonald's, BBQ & lots of bread in addition to all of the fruits & veggies that are a part of my normal diet. In the process of eating everything I have developed some cravings:
  • Sweet Potatoes:  Baked with cinnamon, ginger, agave nectar, olive oil and finished with a little lemon (sounds weird but tastes so yummy).  Today I made enough for the week.
  • Nathan's Hot Dogs:  Topped with curry, mustard, ketchup & onions.  We just took some off of the grill for lunch.
  • Crab Cakes:  I've been making these a lot, but I'm going to have to find a new obsession with the cost of the lump crab meat per pound.
I am officially back to my fighting weight so I guess I'll lay off of the fries for now.  I am also taking lots of healthy supplements like B-6 & Glutamine.

KINDNESS & FAMILY

I cannot begin to express how humbled & grateful I am for the kindness of others.  My parents & in-laws dropped everything to be with us.  It was the first time our parents had been in the same place at the same time since we we married in 2000.  My boss & coworkers have made work manageable & fun. Friends have offered support.  I even had  a sweet 80ish lady come up to me yesterday and ask me, "What can I help you find...you look lost."  I found out after talking to her for a couple of minutes that she wasn't a volunteer, she was just coming from an appointment herself and thought I might need a hand.  The news tells us on a daily basis that there is a lot of crazy in the world...I am here to say that there is MORE kindness & compassion than crazy.:)
Ciao!
P.S.  My hair is still firmly attached for the moment, but I know that could change any day now and I haven't purchased a wig yet.  I have narrowed it down to a few...I'm hoping that you will help me choose my new look on Thursday.




No comments:

Post a Comment