Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Gettin' Wiggy with It, Genetic Testing & Angels

WIGGIN' OUT

My hair is taking longer than normal to fall out, but I know it's inevitable.  A good friend has a wig that she is going to let me play with and I have come up with some options of my own.  I've always been very practical when it comes to hair.  I just want easy, hence the perpetual bun. So I actually think it's going to be fun to experiment with some different looks.  Here are the looks I'm deciding among.  Who knows, maybe I'll do more than one.  What do you think? Should I go Solange, Kerry or Hally?

Solange Knowles

Kerry Washington

Halle Berry

GENETIC TESTING

Ovarian cancer affects less than 2% of women and often has a genetic component.  I am getting what seems to be a groundbreaking genetics test.  It's called OVANEXT.  Many people are aware of the test that Angelia Jolie received for the BRCA1 & BRAC2 gene mutations that lead to her choosing to have a double mastectomy.  OVANEXT tests for this and many other gene mutations that are linked to several different cancers. This will help me to determine maintenance and preventative measures, but it will also help future generations of my family.  If it is determined that I have a mutation, it is recommended that my brother gets tested.  If he has the same mutation, my nieces will be able to get tested at an appropriate age and make informed, proactive decisions about their health. 


Figure Legend:  Estimated cancer risks for women in the general population (represented in gray) compare with women carrying a gene mutation on the OvaNext panel (represented in blue).
(Based on available evidence.  Estimates may change as more data emerges).

ANGEL CASAUNDRA

I just had my 3rd chemo today and as usual I was met by Casaundra.  She is kind, smart and sweet.  She has made visits that could be sad and depressing almost like going to get my nails done (or at least I imagine how it would be if I got my nails done:)).  She gives me all of the information I need in plain language, which I very much appreciate.  She also tells me stories about her family and her adorable kiddos.  I'm sure she makes all of her patients feel this way, but Casaudra is an angel.  I can only hope that anyone that finds themselves in a situation like mine has someone like her.

CaSaundra and I today:)

P.S.  The Neupogen shots that I received did the trick...YIPPEEE!!!!!  My white blood cell count went from 2.9 to 5.6 in one week.  So now I will get shot up every Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment