Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

KNOW THE SIGNS

This is a super cheesy 2 minute video, but please have the women you love watch it anyway.  It goes over the symptoms of ovarian cancer.  I had every one of these.  I am starting to realize just how truly blessed I am to have made it to Dr. D and her team when I did.  Because ovarian cancer is so difficult to diagnose, it is often too late when the diagnosis is made.  I keep talking about the symptoms because detecting this stinky, stinky thing as early as possible is key.

Click here if the video link isn't available below:)





MY FRIENDS

Edgar & Tom
One of my favorite people on the planet came to see me yesterday...it was good medicine.  Edgar and I see each other maybe once a year, but he is family.  Most of us have very few people that really, really, REALLY know us.  He knows all of my adolescent embarrassing stories that I can conveniently leave out when I meet new people.  He tells me the truth when I need it (the truths that only people who really have your back will tell you) and he adores my parents.  I wish we didn't live so far apart.

He told me  he thought  it was odd that I was doing a blog that anyone could read because I've always been so private about most things.  He's right.  This journey has made me much more open.  It has made me tell people love them much more often, hug them a little longer and a lot tighter.  I like this new version of myself:)

As a side note.  Edgar and his partner Tom are super duper handy people.  They are remodeling their house and have done all of the work themselves (drywall, deck building, rewiring, concrete counter top pouring etc., etc., etc.).  I have a light fixture for my closet that I first saw in the stylist Melanie Knopke's house (in her daughter's nursery) that has been sitting for a couple of month's and they helped Rob & I put it together and install it in a matter of minutes.  This is no small feat.  This light is from IKEA and came with each of those pretty paper flowers detached in a box.  I love it!  Thanks Tom & Edgar.

L to R:  Edgar, Tom, Me:) & RoB

L to R:  Edgar & Tom.  Please excuse the mess that is my closet
...but isn't the light cool!



Angela & Barb
Angela & her mom Barb came to see me during chemo today (I later found out that I can only have one visitor at a time...I'm so glad that they let us have our visit before told me this).  Although I've shared a lot, I've been hesitant to have anyone come with me except Rob.  I can't tell you how much it meant having them there.  I cry at sentimental commercials, romantic or sad movies and on behalf of the people I love, but I don't cry for myself.  Today I was overwhelmed by the good wishes of others and cried (the super ugly cry) like a baby.  I honestly don't know what I did to get so lucky to have such phenomenal people in my life, but I am truly grateful.

L to R:  Barb, Angela & Tonya:)

Andrea
Andrea was the first person I saw the day I ended up having surgery.  She came by to see me today.  She is wonderful.  I heart her!

Andrea & Me:)


HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY
Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment