Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Smile

SMALL THINGS CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE


I just got back from getting my Neupogen shot.  On the weekends I have to check in through the emergency room because the patient reception desk is closed.  As waited to be seen, I sat with a in a room with people that didn't expect to spend their Sunday afternoon at St. Luke's.  There were people in various states of dress, a person with pink rimmed eyes from crying and a person on the phone trying to contact family members to let them know what was going on.  

As I scanned the room I noticed a tired, sad, rumpled  woman looking at me with a scowl.  The people pleaser in me always wants to make everything better, but to be honest I'm tired today and just wanted to get in and get out so that I could get home and crawl into my comfy bed and get more rest.  I looked at the woman directly so that we were staring into each others eyes and gave her my biggest & toothiest smile. She smiled back at me!  Not only did she smile back, her eyes softened, her shoulders relaxed and she visibly exhaled.   I have no idea what was going on with this poor woman, but I do think that letting someone know that you really see them is always a good thing & smiles are free.  That is my wish for everyone today...to SMILE!!


I would like to give a special thanks to Janet York.  You made me smile:)

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment